Sunday 2 June 2013

Digital Presence

As part of my quest to become a Google Certified Trainer I have to demonstrate my digital presence.  This is kind of freaking me out.  I don't think I put myself out there very much and when I do I get very nervous.  This morning I forced myself to comment on a blog post by Doug Johnson (the Blue Skunk Blog).  I stressed and worried about it.  I had a thought, then I thought I should share it.  But was it 'worthy'?  Would others readers just say 'well, duh'?  Who am I to add value to the discussion that was going on?  Could I add value?  My comment wasn't as long as most of the others - does that mean it wasn't as 'deep'? Then I changed my mind about a billion times as to whether or not I should use my full name (I eventually did).
Then I got this response:

Hi Lisa,
We've been using the SAMR model in our district as well - and for some of the same reasons. Thanks for reminding readers of it and how we can move between levels.
Yeah, reading these comments is a real treat for me. I quoted you in my last blog post!
Doug


And here is the blog to which he is referring.  I am a little embarrassed at how excited I was to see my name on someone else's blog.  Someone that I've actually never met, but whose work I appreciate and follow.  So cool.
The moral of this story: Take a chance.  Just like I appreciate someone taking the time to comment on something I've written (and I appreciate it a whole lot!!!), others do too.  I tell my students to comment and add to blog discussions, this is another instance in which I have to model what I teach.  It does feel a little like risk taking, but like other risks, the payoff rush can be exhilarating.


2 comments:

  1. I think you offer the best advice at the very end, Lisa. "Take a chance". Although, if you believe in yourself and in the concept, it really isn't a "chance"; it's just affirming who you are and what your beliefs are. Nobody should ever question you when you are true to that notion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post really resonates with me. You perfectly explained why I have such trouble participating in online conversations with people who I don't personally know. I often feel like an impostor and don't feel as though I am as smart as others.

    ReplyDelete