Friday 7 July 2017

double duty - playing with hypothesis and Alan November's article Walk Through for Innovation

I will admit, I skimmed the Alan November stuff in the critical literacy section of my IICTI course.  November is someone who I've known about and seen stuff from for as long as I've been having my students work on line.  But when I decided that I wanted to play with hypothes.is as a tool I went back to the November article (that honestly I hadn't previously opened when I skimmed the content about November).
PART A - thoughts on the article...
I was both challenged by parts of the article and had some "YES" moments reading the article.
One of my 'take aways' was a way into colleagues' classes as a Teacher Librarian.  We (my TL partner and I) always offer to collaborate with all the teachers in our school, often to the point of begging teachers to let us work with them on their research projects.  What we are often allowed to do is to show students how the data bases work and we encourage students to move beyond Google to find other reputable sources.
This is important.   Students still should understand what an academic journal is, and how it is different from a magazine.  Searching for articles in the data base also encourages students to practice finding the right search terms and see that it is important.  This is a transferable skill back to Google, but often students don't see the importance of finding the best search phrase in Google, because just about any phrase will give them something.  Then when that something isn't what they are looking for the problem in their minds is that the information isn't out there.  When students tell me that - I'm agog!  Really??  All the information in the work, but that doesn't exist?  That they may need to go past page one, or try a different term/phrase escapes them.
But in addition to a lesson on how to use the data bases, we should be talking about how best to use Google for this project.  What could be put into the search bar?  What other phrases might work?
November says "Google does not read English or any language." I'm sure this is news to most people. It certainly seems like Google reads English.  That's why people type their question in to the search bar.  But it doesn't interpret language.  It just looks for the words, not the meaning behind the words.
Very few if any student are about to ask ... for help with a Google search ... It is the teacher's responsibility to teach the research skills that lead to high quality comparative search.
 I would argue that many teachers don't know this either (or know they don't know).  In that case it can be my job (as TL) to make myself available to the teacher to collaborate on the assignment.  To ask about search terms and how to go deeper.  I need to come up with a list of questions to ask teachers about their assignments to help get better results and encourage more critical thinking in their research.
I'm not sure what those questions could be...
Might the information on this topic be different if it was from a different country?  Would it matter?
Are there other terms that might be used to find the information?  Different ways of saying the same thing?
What is the counter argument?  Who would hold that opinion?

I found the points under the first of the 6 questions to be of most value to me: "Did the assignment build the capacity for critical thinking on the web?"

 
PART B - thoughts on Hypothes.is
I get basically how it works.  I need to play with it with someone else or in a group.  I also need to go back and read more and watch videos about it's use with a class.  Could students use this to annotate a primary source document, then share their notes with me?  I'm generally not interested in a whole class annotating the same article - not everyone will participate, but maybe in small groups?
Here's my initial attempt at using hypothes.is.  I haven't gone very far, but if someone want to read my comments and reply, or add your own I'd be interested both in your ideas and in what it looks like in hypothes.is.
I don't really like the way it highlights then moves it into the notes with no spaces.  I think I've used other annotation or note taking apps that I've liked better.  Although right now I can't come up with the names.  The one I'm thinking of put the notes right in the document like sticky notes that you could open or close.  There was also the option to put push pins into places in the document/pdf.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...I was trying to get signed up but it doesn't seem to let me...did you have any issues with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have any issue signing up, but when I clicked on the link above only 1 of my notes was there and it was marked private (only me). I guess I'll be going back and watching more videos about how this is supposed to work. I would like to see it work. I will also go back and figure out what the annotation tool was I used before. I'm sure I have something saved in my drive...

    ReplyDelete