Saturday 27 May 2017

IICTI part 2, module 3 reflection: Research Project

In this post I'm supposed to share what I think I will do for my research project.  I am really lacking ideas at this point.  I obviously want to do something that relates to what I teach, or do in my school.  I also want to do something that will push my learning.  I don't want to do something in which the focus is a tool, but maybe...

OK,  I've been adding to this post for a whole week as I work through my ideas and talk to others and figure out what I want to do.  When I hit publish, it reverted to what I had typed on the first night (last Monday), and deleted Wednesday and Friday and this morning's additions and thoughts!!!



There is no way that I can recreate the visible thinking that I had done, but here's what I'm thinking now.






My research project will be about digital humanities.  Here's a little bit about how I got here...

Inspiration:  Alanna King (my ODLLC partner) handed me this article that she thought I'd be interested in.

Context:  I am teaching one section of the DHP next year, and it is taking up a lot of my energy thinking about what that means, and what I will be doing.

As a humanities department, my history colleagues and I have been concerned with the societal shift away from the importance of humanities.  We also struggle with how to make history more a "doing" discipline.

Process:
1) literature review/research
2) survey students in DHP class currently (or previous students) about what skills they've developed and the transfer they see
2 b) interview Asher (DHP teacher), Neil (DHP teacher), Pat (DHP Principal), Wendy (DHP VP and parent of former student) about their experience with the program.
3) play with the tools that are recommended for digital humanities
4) bring in what I've found by following #CDNcraft and what tools are currently being used in the study of aboriginal issues courses.
5) what digital tools are available and currently being used in making connections to Aboriginal studies and or history classes

In terms of the Planning, Acting, Observing, Reflecting cycle - I think the challenge for me will be the "implement your intervention" part of Acting.  But I think there is a way of working through the cycle without the actual implementation at this point.

Here is a link to my mindomo brainstorming.

As I work through this thinking yet again, I may have changed my focus a bit...  Let's see where this journey takes me.


















   






1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I think you've done a great job focusing your thinking on a realistic direction for this project that is really relevant and practical for your course next year! I'll add my comments to the mindomo. :)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete