Friday 5 October 2012

Here we go...

Yesterday we had our PLP kickoff in Ontario.  It was exhausting and exhilarating.  I want to get started, but am uncertain what exactly to do.  I've poked around the Ning, added some comments here and there, and was very impressed at Peter's amazing ability to comment on every person's post and personalize each reply in a meaningful way.
I guess my next step is to start my blog.  The name for my blog comes from something I've heard Sheryl say a few times. I am really attracted to the idea that it's OK for learning to be messy and that learning really is about making mistakes - we shouldn't feel like we have to hide them.

Upon reflecting on yesterday, one of the things that stood out to me yesterday was from Will's keynote.  I looked at the slides today, but the slide I wanted wasn't there...  It was the one about (Digital) Literacy.  What stood out to me was the idea that to be literate now includes the ability to simultaneously follow multiple streams of information (or something like that).  One of the reasons I was attracted to this idea is because I've started to think I've developed ADD as an adult due to my being on-line.  At any given moment I have 2 browsers open on my computer and at least 3 tabs in each browser.  Now, thanks to Will's slide, I can use it as proof that I am 21st Century Literate! But I do have a few 'wonderings' about this point:
There is [still?] a very prominent belief that multitasking is "wrong," and we need to stop allowing people to believe it is even possible.  Is there a difference between multitasking and following multiple streams of information? (I wish I had the actual wording from the slide.)  Where did this definition come from?  Is the skill part being able to keep a focus in the multiple streams?  And being able to find your way back to where you started?  Or even remember why/where you started?
When I brought up this point at supper with Alanna and Sarah (who were also at the kick off) they both said that point from the slide stood out to them as well.
What do you think?  Did it catch your attention?  What else did?

2 comments:

  1. The Definition of 21st Century Literacies
    http://www.ncte.org/governance/literacies

    Adopted by the NCTE Executive Committee
    February 15, 2008

    Literacy has always been a collection of cultural and communicative practices shared among members of particular groups. As society and technology change, so does literacy. Because technology has increased the intensity and complexity of literate environments, the twenty-first century demands that a literate person possess a wide range of abilities and competencies, many literacies. These literacies—from reading online newspapers to participating in virtual classrooms—are multiple, dynamic, and malleable. As in the past, they are inextricably linked with particular histories, life possibilities and social trajectories of individuals and groups. Twenty-first century readers and writers need to

    Develop proficiency with the tools of technology
    Build relationships with others to pose and solve problems collaboratively and cross-culturally
    Design and share information for global communities to meet a variety of purposes
    Manage, analyze and synthesize multiple streams of simultaneous information
    Create, critique, analyze, and evaluate multi-media texts
    Attend to the ethical responsibilities required by these complex environments

    ReplyDelete